There are many ways to create a self-signed digital signature certificate (also called a digital ID), but PDF Impress provides the easiest way to generate and automatically store it in the Windows Certificate Store so it can be used with its signing function. Read below to see how this work.
Generate a Self-signed Certificate from PDF Impress
- Launch PDF Impress.
- Click on Profiles then click on Any Profile icon ( e.g. Standard) and then on Edit selected profile.
- Click on Add task and add Digital Signature task.
- Click on Create button.
- Enter your information. When you sign a document, this will appear in the Signatures panel.
- Click OK to generate and store the Certificate.
- Certificate will be automatically imported into open Digital Signature task.
Generate a Self-signed Certificate from Adobe Reader DC
Do the following to generate a self-signed key with Adobe Reader:
- Launch Adobe Reader DC.
- Choose Edit > Preferences > Signatures.
- Select Identities & Trusted Certificates and click More.
- Click on Add ID and select the option A New Digital ID I Want To Create Now, and click Next.
- Select Windows Certificate Store, and click Next.
- Enter your information, when you sign a document, this will appear in the Signatures panel.
- Select 1024-bit RSA from the Key Algorithm option (it is the most compatible).
- Select Digital Signatures and Data Encryption from the Use Digital ID for option.
- Click Finish to generate and store the ID.
Re-use the Self-signed Certificate with PDF Impress
After you generate the self-signed key, you can use it with PDF Impress. Do the following:
- Add the Digital Signature task to any Profile.
- Click Select… in Select Certificate and choose your Digital ID from the list, then click OK.
- Certificate will be imported into task.
- Fill the rest of the fields and click Back to main window icon to store task.
Note: Self Signed Digital Certificates use “blank” for password. It provides the same level of document tamper-resistance as paid certificate. However since this certificate is self-signed it does not provide signer identity verification through third party CA. Digital Signature can be also accessed through PDF Impress Workroom or through right click on PDF file in File Explorer. If authenticity of signer is imported use purchased signatures from any CA which is in AATL (Adobe Approved Trust List) list. PDF Impress 10 was fully tested with Symantec PKI Service and certificates from this provider.
- Add an electronic digital ID and signature stamp image to an Adobe Acrobat PDF u...
- Symantec Managed PKI AATL Certificate for PDF Impress User Guide
- Customize digital ID with visual signature appearance in PDF document
- Multiple digital signatures in PDF can be used to approve expense reports for em...
- How to create a stamp or a digital signature appearance of your hand written sig...
Tags: AATL, Adobe Approved Trust List, authenticity, Create a self-signed digital certificate, Create a self-signed digital id, Create a self-signed digital signature, create self signed, digital id, digital signature, PDF Impress, print2pdf, self signed digital id, Symantec, Symantec PKI client, Symantec PKI service, Windows Certicate Store