Netbook screen real estate is a big deal when the majority of these devices ship with a 1024 x 600 pixel display. This article will compare the limited Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition with Kingsoft Office 2010 on a standard netbook display. The ribbon toolbar on the new Microsoft Office 2010 may be to much for the limited vertical display area. See the screenshots below and judge for yourself:
Microsoft Office 2010 Starter
You cannot download and install Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition yourself, it must be pre-loaded from the manufacturer of your computer. Also, some important features have been removed: footnotes, endnotes, citations or bibliography, comments, track changes, and Pivot Tables. Below you can see Microsoft Word Starter using 100% document zoom at 1024×600:
Kingsoft Office 2010
Kingsoft Office 2010 can be downloaded and installed by anyone, does not have any feature limitations, and even includes an alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint, which Microsoft Office 2010 Starter does not have. Below you can see Kingsoft Writer using 130% document zoom at 1024×600:
- Using Print2PDF from Microsoft Word Starter 2010 without macro support
- Best Microsoft Office alternative for netbooks: Kingsoft Office
- Microsoft Office 2010 officially available, still costs way more than Kingsoft O...
- PC Pro Review of Kingsoft Office 2010
- BinaryNow Releases Kingsoft Office 2010: An Affordable Alternative to Microsoft ...